Green Your Holidays
December 1, 2013
The holidays are full of fun and festivities, but they're also full of waste. Between Thanksgiving and the New Year, household waste increases by an average of 25 percent, according to the EPA.
One way to reduce waste and energy this season is by making DIY gifts out of reclaimed materials. Not only will this help cut back on resource consumption, but loved ones will also recognize and appreciate the extra time and effort put into each gift. (Not to mention it can save lots of money, too.)
At the Salvage Barn, we've got tons of items that can be used for homemade decorations and gifts. Stop over and let your imagination run wild! To get you started, here are five inspiring DIY projects that can all be made from salvaged materials.
1. This silhouette Christmas tree could easily be made from wood at the Salvage Barn.
2. Make a framed chalkboard out of old trim and plinths.
3. Reclaimed coasters are super simple and environmentally friendly.
4. We have knobs and hooks galore for a personalized coat rack.
5. Dig through our Free, 25¢ and 50¢ bins to build a rustic tree out of trim or flooring.